Building that bright future : Soviet Karelia in the life writing of Finnish North Americans /
"Building that Bright Future examines letters and memoirs of Finnish North Americans to provide a rare glimpse of daily life in the 1930s from the edge of the Soviet Union."--
|Author / Creator:|
|Imprint:||Toronto ; Buffalo : University of Toronto Press, |
URSS > Histoire > 1925-1953.
|Online Access:||Click here for full text|
Table of Contents:
- Map of Karelia
- 1. The Question of Karjala: Contextualizing the Karelian "Fever"
- 2. Our Comrades Are Leaving Again: Moving to Soviet Karelia
- 3. ... Of Course Not Like There: Karelian Living Conditions as Experienced by Finnish North Americans
- 4. The Golden Fund of Karelia: Childhood in Finnish North American Karelia
- 5. Isn't It a Different Land, This Sickle and Hammer Land?: Working in Soviet Karelia
- 6. All Kinds of Hustle and Bustle: Social Life, Community Involvement, and Leisure
- 7. Karelia Is Soaked in the Blood of Innocent People: Writing about the Great Terror